- Bilingual - French/English
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts (1972-76)
B.A. economics and art history, 1976, cum laude.
- Knight in the French Order of Arts and Letters (Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des lettres), a distinction granted in 1993 by Jack Lang, Minister of Education and Culture and Emile Biasini, Minister for the Grands Travaux (Cultural Projects undertaken by French President François Mitterrand).
- Former member of the Cercle de l'Union Interalliée (Paris), Travellers Club (Paris), and A.D. Club (Harvard).
- Architecture Editor, Taschen, Cologne, January 2003- ongoing
- Editorial Consultant, Aga Khan Trust for Culture, Geneva, March 2003- ongoing on a case-by-case basis.
- Editorial Consultant for Qatar Museums, book for the opening of the National Museum of Qatar, Doha, 2016-18.
- Editorial Consultant for H.E. Sheikha Al Mayassa Al Thani, Qatar Museums Authority (QMA/QM), 2010-2014
- Editorial Consultancy, Qatar Foundation, Capital Projects Directorate, 2012-2014
- Editorial Consultant, Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture & Heritage (ADACH), 2011- 12.
- Consultant, Cultural Program, Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2011.
- Editorial Consultant for the architect Santiago Calatrava, 2010-11.
- Architectural Consultant, Nahel College, Abu Dhabi, 2009-11. Design of a school sponsored by the Ruling Family of Abu Dhabi (His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, His Highness Sheikh Hazza bin Zayed Al Nahyan).
- Architectural Consultant, Les Celliers de Sion, Sion, Switzerland, 2010-11.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the magazine Espaces contemporains, Switzerland, 2008 - ongoing. Monthly architecture articles published in Espaces contemporains (ongoing)
- Consultant, Romeda-Courtright, Opio, France, 2016 - ongoing
- Architectural Consultant, Musée Cantonal des Beaux-Arts, Lausanne, Design Competition, July 2010 – 2011. Preparation of texts for the privately printed brochure “Concours Pôle Muséal Lausanne” Canton de Vaud, 2011.
- Editorial Consultant, Prestel Verlag, Munich, July 2009- July 2010.
- Member of Advisory Board, International Journal of Islamic Architecture, University of North Carolina, Charlottesville, North Carolina, 2010 - ongoing
- Consultant for Paolo Baratta, President, Venice Architecture Biennale, 2007-08
- Member of the Editorial Board of the magazine, Modern Painters, London, September 2002-06
- Editorial Consultant, Art Actuel, French modern and contemporary art magazine; 2003-05
- Paris correspondent of the Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art (TMCA), December 2002-05
- Scientific advisor for the Iranian architectural magazine Abadi, 2003-05
- Editorial advisor and writer for the French art magazine L’OEil, 2003-05.
- Consultancy, Aga Khan Trust for Culture, Geneva, September-October 2002, Seminar in Yazd and Teheran, Iran, “Architecture in a Changing World.”
- Consultancy, Aga Khan Trust for Culture, Geneva, April-May 2002. Publishing policy of the AKTC and the other organizations of the Aga Khan (Aga Khan Development Network).
- Editor in Chief of the monthly art journal Connaissance des Arts, Paris 1980- April 2002 Responsible for 25 to 30 employees.
- 1978-1979 Assistant to the Editor in Chief, Connaissance des Arts.
- 1976-1978 Assistant Director, Connaissance des Arts.
CONNAISSANCE DES ARTS
Monthly art magazine with a paid circulation of 35,000 copies per month. Created in March 1952 «Connaisseur», «Connaissance des Arts» was until recently the most widely read art magazine in the French language. Connaissance des Arts was one of the only art magazines to deal with both traditional art forms and the most contemporary types of art. It covered subjects as diverse as archeology and contemporary architecture, and current events not only in France but throughout the world.
Philip Jodidio has published more than 150 books since 1990. Some of his recent titles are:
Cabins, Taschen, Cologne, 2014. ISBN: 978-38-36550-26-0
Views, Rolex Learning Center, EPFL Press, Presses Polytechniques et Universitaires Romandes, Lausanne, 2015. ISBN: 978-2-88915-088-5
100 Contemporary Concrete Buildings, Taschen, Cologne, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-8365-4767-3
Architecture Now ! 10, Taschen, Cologne, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-8365-5221-9
Maya Lin, Topologies, (one text), Rizzoli International Publications, New York, 2015. ISBN : 978-0-8478-4609-2
European House, Images Publishing, Melbourne, 2015. ISBN : 978-1-8647-0636-9
Chipperfield, Taschen, Cologne, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-8365-5180-9
100 Contemporary Wood Buildings, Taschen, Cologne, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-8365-4281-4
The Japanese House Reinvented, The Monacelli Press, New York, 2015. ISBN: 978-1-58093-406-0. Thames & Hudson, London, 2015. ISBN: 978-0-500-34308-1
Marc Mimram Architecture & Structure, Prestel Verlag, Munich, 2015. ISBN : 987-3-7913-5476-7
The New Pavilions, Thames & Hudson, London, 2016. ISBN: 978-0-500-34322-7. Neue Pavillons in der Architektur, DETAIL – Institut für Internationale Architektur-Dokumentation, Munich, 2016. ISBN: 987-3-95553-337-3
Rooftops, Islands in the Sky, Taschen GmbH, Cologne, 2016. ISBN: 978-3-8365-6375-8
Architecture –Studio, Editions de la Découverte, Dominique Carré éditeur, Paris, 2016. ISBN: 978-2-37368-026-3
100 Contemporary Brick Buildings, Taschen GmbH, Cologne, 2017. ISBN: 978-3-8365-6235-5
Nomadic Homes, Taschen GmbH, Cologne, 2017. ISBN 978-3-8365-6233-1
Casa Moderna: Latin American Living, Thames & Hudson, London, 2018. ISBN: 978-0-500-34329-6
Tadao Ando, Complete Works, 1975-Today, renewed and updated monograph, 34 x 39 cm, 740 pages. Taschen GmbH, Cologne, 2018. ISBN: 978-3-8365-6856-2
Under One Roof, EPFL ArtLab in Lausanne by Kengo Kuma, Preface by Patrick Aebischer, Prestel, Munich, 2018. ISBN: 978-3-7913-5805-5
Renzo Piano, Complete Works, 1966-Today, renewed and updated monograph, 30.8 x 39 cm, 699 pages. Taschen GmbH, Cologne, 2018. ISBN: 978-3-8365-7182-1
Homes for Our Time, Taschen GmbH, Cologne, 2018. 24.6 x 37.2 cm, 456 pages. ISBN: 978-3-8365-7117-3
BOOKS IN PREPARATION
• Contemporary Japanese Architecture
• Hotel Lutetia
Published numerous articles in such periodicals as:
Architectural Record, AD France, L’Oeil, Revue de Monuments Historiques, Il Giornale dell'Arte, Il Giornale dell’Architettura, Architecture plus Urbanism (A + U), The Art Newspaper; Artpress, Modern Painters, Espaces contemporains, L’Information Immobilière (Switzerland) or the daily newspaper El Mercurio, Santiago, Chile.
Wrote the annual review on visual arts in Panorama Mondial (Éditions Académiques, Basel, Paris), every year from 1981 to 1995.
Published an article in the Iranian architectural journal Abadi, “Architecture Now”, Vol. 12, n° 37, Winter 2003
Participation in a collective publication entitled: Balthus ou la quête de l'Essentiel, interview of the scientist Semir Zeki and the artist Balthus (Balthasar Klossowski), Les belles lettres/Archimbaud, 1995.
Publication of an article in the biotechnology magazine Helix, "At the Nexus" on the Guggenheim Bilbao, Helix, Volume VIII, Issue 3, 1999, Excerpta Medica, The Netherlands.
AWARDS and PRIZES
- Winner of the Prix de Briey 1996 du Livre d'Architecture, Actualités et Essais; Mention: Contemporary European Architects, Volumes III et IV. Jury commentary: Ce titre en anglais recouvre un ouvrage trilingue (allemand, anglais, français) en deux volumes, consacré aux architectes européens contemporains. Le jury estime que ces deux livres pourront jouer un rôle important dans la diffusion de la qualité architecturale en Europe.
- Winner of the Prix Saint-Etienne Métropôle du Livre de Design (Best Design and Architecture book) 2004 for Architecture Now, Volumes 1 and 2.
- Winner of the Premios de la Critica al Mejor Libro Internacional de Arquitectura: Architecture Now, Philip Jodidio (Critics Prize for the Best International Architecture Book, for Architecture Now), Bienal Internacional de Arquitectura, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2005
- Honorable Mention, 2009 Architecture Book of the Year Award, Bookexpo America, Foreword Magazine, for I.M. Pei, Complete Works, Rizzoli International, New York.
- Architecture Now Museums, nominated for the Prix Métropoles, Hauserman, Paris, 2010.
- Participation in a symposium on Spirituality, Art and the Environment, Miho Museum, Shigaraki, Shiga, Japan, April 1998. Conference on “Spirituality in Contemporary Architecture.”
- Participation in an International Conference on Architecture and Cities for the 21st Century, organized by Unesco and the Fundacion Valencia III Milenio in the Congress Center, Valencia, Spain, 3-4 July 1998. Wrote “on-line” texts on this Conference for the Internet site of Unesco: http://www.unesco.org/whc/events/valencia/ Wrote an article “From Pessimism to Optimism” on the subject of this conference, published in World Heritage Review, n°9, 1998.
- Moderator of a debate organized by the Louvre Museum in the context of its “Musée-musées” series on the subject of “Japanese architects and the Museum,” Auditorium of the Louvre, Paris, June 16, 1999.
- Gave a conference on the subject of “Spirituality in Contemporary Architecture,” Sotheby’s, Paris, September 28, 1999.
- Moderator of a debate organized by the Louvre Museum in the context of its “Musée-musées” series on the subject of “Edinburgh-Glasgow, museums and architecture,” Auditorium of the Louvre, Paris, January 26, 2000.
- Gave a conference on the subject of “Contemporary Architecture and American Museums,” Sotheby’s, Paris, March 5, 2001.
- Moderator of a debate on "Contemporary Art and Contemporary Architecture," Café des Arts, FIAC, Paris, October 2001.
- Gave a conference on the subject of "Style in Contemporary Architecture" at the National Design Museum, New York, October 30, 2001.
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture Now,” for the international seminar “Architecture for a Changing World,” Yazd and Tehran, Iran, October 16, 2002.
- Participation in the Fifth Anniversary of the Miho Museum, Shigaraki, Japan, in collaboration with I.M. Pei, November 2002. Conference for an audience of 6,000 persons on the recent work of I.M. Pei, Miho Museum, Shigaraki, Japan, November 3, 2002.
- Conference at the Victoria & Albert Museum, London in the context of “Architecture Week” – in collaboration with the architect Alvaro Siza, June 25, 2004.
- Moderateur of a debate organized by the Louvre Museum in the context of its “Musée-musées” series on the subject of “Exhibiting Islamic Art, the project for the Doha Museum” Auditorium of the Louvre, Paris, March 29, 2006. Prepared a video interview of I.M. Pei for this occasion in New York.
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture Now” at the Ecole Cantonale d’Art de Lausanne ECAL, Lausanne, Switzerland, May 30, 2006.
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture Now” at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, January 25, 2007.
- Gave a conference at the Maison du livre de l’image et du son, Villeurbanne, France, on Contemporary Architecture in Switzerland, February 5, 2007
- Participation in a symposium on Integrating Beauty, Nature and Spirituality into Life in the New Millennium. Miho Museum, Shigaraki, Shiga, Japan, November 5, 2007. Conference on “The Miho Museum.”
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture Now” at the Ecole Cantonale d’Art de Lausanne ECAL, Lausanne, Switzerland, November 28, 2007.
- Gave a conference under the title “The Amibiguity of Architectural Images” at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland, April 3, 2008.
- Panelist, Islamic Architecture Between Tradition and Modernity, Doha Museum of Islamic Art, Doha, Qatar, November 23, 2008.
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture and Meteorology” with the architect Philippe Rahm, Musée d’art et d’histoire, Geneva, Switzerland, January 29, 2009.
- Moderator and participant in the conference Vingt ans après le Grand Louvre: les architectes contemporains face à l’histoire des musées, with I.M. Pei, David Chipperfield and Rafel Moneo. Louvre Auditorium, Paris, April 8, 2009.
- Gave a conference under the title “I.M. Pei and the Challenge of History,” American Friends of the Louvre, Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the United States, New York, April 23, 2009.
- Moderator of a debate organized by the Louvre Museum in the context of its “Musée-musées” series on the subject of “Abu Dhabi: a capital in construction,” Auditorium of the Louvre, Paris, December 9, 2009.
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture and Tourism,” University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland, Sierre, Switzerland, January 12, 2010
- Gave a conference under the title “Architecture and Publishing”, Al Multaqa, Abu Dhabi Book Fair, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, March 2, 2010.
- Gave a conference under the title “Cabanes Perchées” on the architecture of contemporary mountain huts at the Colline de Géronde (Rencontres du Chateau), Sierre, Switzerland, August 3, 2010.
- Gave a conference under the title “Swiss Mountain Huts, the Challenge of Contemporary Architecture,” for the Summer School of the Swiss Commission for Astronomy: Stars and Supernovae in Galaxies,” Beausite Hotel, Saint-Luc, Switzerland, September 14, 2010.
- Gave a conference under the title “Swiss Mountain Huts in the Valais and Elsewhere,” Gite du Prilet, Saint-Luc, Switzerland, October 30, 2010.
- Gave a conference with Masimilliano Fuksas on “Publishing Architecture,” Polypod, Beirut, Lebanon, January 11, 2011.
- Participated in a conference on the architecture of modern mountain huts, 150th Anniversary of the Swiss Alpine Club, FIFAD, Les Diablerets, Switzerland, August 14, 2013.
- Participated in the conference, The Work of Emre Arolat Between Production and Identity, with Kenneth Frampton andSuha Ozkan, AIA New York Center for Architecture, October 17, 2013.
- Participation in the 25th Doha International Book Fair, Doha, Qatar, January 13, 2015, interviews for local publications.
- Conference on three works of I.M. Pei in Japan, in collaboration with the architect Hitoshi Maehara, Miho Museum, Shigaraki, Japan, May 31, 2015.
- Conference for an audience of 2,000 persons on three works of I.M. Pei in Japan. in collaboration with the architect Hitoshi Maehara, Meishusama Hall, Misono, Shigaraki, Japan, June 2, 2015.
- Conference on New Trends in Architecture, “Citizens at the Heart of the Sustainably Built Environment,” The Concrete Initiative, Square Meeting Center, Brussels, Belgium, November 19, 2015
- Conference on “Writing about Architecture,” Osaka Institute of Technology, Umeda Campus, Osaka, Japan, Tadao Andom Cultural Foundation, December 6, 2018
COMMITTEE AND JURY PARTICIPATION
- Member of the Scientific Committee created by Mme Françoise de Panafieu and the Direction des affaires culturelles de la Ville de Paris on the future of the Petit Palais Museum (1992).
- Member of the Jury of the French Grand Prix National des musées, 1993.
- Member of the Comité auprès du Directeur du Centre de l'UNESCO pour le patrimoine mondial. This committee, created by Federico Mayor, Director General of UNESCO on May 12, 1993, met for the first time in October 1993.
- Member of the Comité pour l'architecture et la mise en valeur et conservation des oeuvres d'art à la maison de l'UNESCO (1994 -).
- Member of the Jury for the Grand Prix des arts plastiques de la Ville de Paris, (Grand Prize for the Visual Arts of the City of Paris). 1998.
- Member of the Architecture Jury for The Edge, a $300 million mixed-use project planned for a 54.000 square meter site in the Dubai Business Bay development area, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, April 2007.
- Member of the Architecture Jury for the “Amenagement du site du depart de la télécabine Grimentz-Bendolla” (Development of the area of the cabin lifts for Grimentz-Bendolla, Switzerland), November-December 2007.
- Member of the French Committee for the Praemium Imperiale Award, presided by Mr. François Pinault, Paris, 2009-12.
- Member of the “Commission aménagement du territoire,” Commune d’Anniviers (VS) (Urban Planning Committee, Town of Anniviers, Switzerland), 2010-11.
- Member of the Architecture Jury, BLC Bank Landmark Competition, Beirut, Lebanon, January 2011.
- Member of the “Commission sur l’avenir de l’hébergement touristique en Anniviers” (Committee on the future of tourist lodging in Anniviers), Township of Anniviers, Switzerland, 2013
- Member of the French Committee for the Praemium Imperiale Award, presided by Mr. Jean-Pierre Raffarin, former French Prime Minister, former Vice-President of the French Senate, 2013 – ongoing.
FILM, TELEVISION OR PUBLISHED INTERVIEWS
- «Art Power - A Worldwide Survey», included in list of the 82 persons who are the most influential in the art world, The Art Newspaper, October 1990.
- Lengthy interview published in the daily newspaper El Mercurio (Santiago de Chile), October 24, 1993, «El arte Moderno ha Muerto».
- Interview published in the Revue Politque et Parlementaire, January- February 1994, “Que sera demain la culture en France?”
- Lengthy interview published in the daily newspaper El Mercurio (Santiago de Chile), November 10, 1996, «Hay que Defender las Vanguardias».
- Participation in the film “La Bataille de la Pyramide,” Les Films d’Ici, 1999 – interviews of the persons who played significant roles in the realisation of the Louvre Pyramid (I.M. Pei, architect).
- Participation in the CNN television program “Design 360,” interview on the subject of the Japanese architect Tadao Ando, January 2003.
- Interview published in the Madrid magazine NaN arquitectura y construction, “Philip Jodidio El nuevo John Ruskin”, November 2005.
- Interview published in the Swiss weekly magazine L’Hebdo, « Philip Jodidio, l’architecte de Taschen, » 5 April 2006. Participation in the television show Dolce Vita, TSR 1 (Switzerland), 2006, 2007
- Interview published in the Swiss daily newspaper Le Temps, “L’architecture génératrice de best-sellers”, January 6, 2007.
- Interview published in the Swiss daily newspaper 24 Heures, “Philip Jodidio met l’architecture dans le salon de M. et Mme. Tout-le-monde,” March 9, 2009
- Participation in the television show Coquelicot & Canapé, TSR1 (Switzerland), March 19, 2011
- Interview published in Weekend, Le Vif / L’Express (Belgium), “Philip Jodidio, Grande Distinction,” May 18, 2012,
- Interview published in The Washington Post, “Dreams, design and the art of the tree house,” December 21, 2012. http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/oninnovations/design-dreams-and-the-art-of-the-treehouse/2012/12/21/692f3334-49fa-11e2-b6f0-e851e741d196_story.html
- Interview published in the Lausanne (Switzerland) daily newspaper 24 Heures, 5-6 January 2013, “Des cabanes de contes de fées”.
- Interview published on the web site of AD Italy, “Philip Jodidio, Il curatore della collana “architecture now!” di taschen, spiega perché la gente vuole saperne di più sull’architettura di oggi,” December 6, 2013. http://adtoday.it/architetture-da-leggere3/
- Participation in the film “Zaha Hadid, une architecte, une oeuvre”, Maison + (France), 28 September, 2014.
- Interview for the television program Deutsche Welle (DW) Euromaxx – Lifestyle Europe, December 30, 2015 http://www.dw.com/en/program/euromaxx/s-7555-9798
- Article published by Wall Street Journal: “Wood to Warm up Modern Architecture,” December 31, 2015:
- Article published by .Cent Magazine, London: “The Cleaner, Leaner House,” December, 2016.
- Article published by bbc.com: “Ten of the world’s most incredible rooftops,” Fiona Macdonald, January 5, 2017. http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170106-incrediblerooftops-around-the-world
- Article published by cnn.com: “13 incredible rooftops around the world,” Katia Hetter, February 7, 2017.
- Article published by the daily newspaper 24 Heures: “Les plus grands batisseurs se trouvent dans ses pages”, Jean-Pierre Pastori, April 25, 2017. https://www.24heures.ch/portraits/Larchitecture-pour-passion/story/29559742
- Article published in the weekly magazine Paris Match (Suisse), “Philip Jodidio, Quand Qatar rime avec Art et Ar…chitecture,” Jean-Pierre Pastori, December 20, 2018