Gonçalo Sousa Byrne (Alcobaça 1941) is a Portuguese architect with a degree in Architecture from the School of Fine Arts in Lisbon in 1968.
With some immense, award-winning national and international projects to his name, the focus of his work has been heritage and cultural projects. Among his extensive list of achievements are dozens of projects both in Portugal and abroad, including housing, urban renewal, urban infrastructure, laboratories and universities.
Invited to speak in Portugal and abroad, Professor Byrne received an honorary degree from the Faculty of Architecture at the Technical University of Lisbon in 2005.
His highly varied portfolio of work, in terms of scale, theme and programme, includes the recent work undertaken at the Palace of Estói on the Algarve in the former hospital of Saint Teotónio de Viseu and Alcobaça Monastery and its surroundings, the Government headquarters of the province of Flemish Brabant in Leuven, Belgium, the APL maritime traffic control tower in Lisbon, the "Império" Quarter in the Chiado area of Lisbon, the Faro Theatre in the Algarve and the National Museum of Machado de Castro in Coimbra.
Achievements in the field of urban planning include detailed plans for the area surrounding the Ajuda Palace in Lisbon, the University of Haute Coimbra and, more recently, the city of Algiers in Algeria and the urban renewal project of S. Martinho do Porto, Alcobaça.
Currently in progress are some major projects like the Estoril-Sol property development, the "Jade" property development in Lisbon, the new EPAL central laboratory, several houses in the Bom Sucesso Resort in Obidos and, more recently, the new Novartis laboratory building in Siena, Italy.
Exhibitions in Abrantes, Brussels, Buenos Aires, Catania, Coimbra, As, La Coruña, Lisbon, Ljubljana, Lucca, Messina, Milan, New York, Padua, Pamplona, Paris, Porto, Rio de Janeiro, Rosario, San Marino, Sao Paulo, Trevi, Venice and Vicenza.
The President honoured him with the title of Order of Prince Henry and the Order of St. James of the Sword for his work abroad.
Gold Medal from the Academy of Architecture of France in 2000
Maritime Traffic Control Tower at APL, Lisbon
- 2011 Estoril property development -Sol, Cascais
- 2010 Machado de Castro National Museum, Coimbra
- 2009 Conversion of Estói Palace into the Pousada Hotel on the Algarve
- 2008 Urban Renewal Project S. Martinho do Porto, Alcobaça
- 2008 Conversion of the former hospital of Saint Teotónio into the Hotel Pousada, Viseu
- 2006 Alcobaça Monastery and surrounding area, Alcobaça
- 2003 Headquarters of the Province of Flemish Brabant in Leuven, Belgium
- 2001 Maritime Traffic Control Tower at APL, Lisbon
- Official records: Fichier d’autorité international virtuel • International Standard Name Identifier • Union List of Artist Names • Bibliothèque nationale de France (données) • Système universitaire de documentation • Bibliothèque du Congrès • Gemeinsame Normdatei • Bibliothèque nationale de Catalogne • Id RKDartists • WorldCat
- Gonçalo Byrne Arquitectos (site) [archive]
- Edifício de Habitação e Comércio, Évora (João Morgado - Fotografia de Arquitectura) [archive]
- Edificio Estoril Sol, Estoril (Fernando Guerra - Fotografia) [archive]
- Edificio Estoril Sol, Estoril (João Morgado - Fotografia de Arquitectura) [archive]